‘I do, I feel, I think’
Activity – empathy – intellect
Formal learning begins at six, with a class teacher who will teach and care for them for up to eight years.
- Learning is brought with imaginative and powerful stories, appropriate for the age and learning tasks
- Learning is supported by art, rhythmic activities, singing and movement
- French and German are taught from age 6, through conversation, games, songs and rhymes.
- Academic subjects are developed to meet the child’s inner developmental needs and to support their growing awareness of the world around them
- Teaching is an art, not a technique
- Learning is an active process, involving observation and experience
- We follow the international Waldorf Curriculum
- Two hour morning blocks are taught in 3 or 4 week blocks of age appropriate subjects
- Literacy and numeracy teaching are incorporated into these blocks
- Learning is consolidated with recall and artistic work
- Singing, music, painting, movement are used as learning tools not just skills
- Children produce their own main lesson workbooks as they draw, write about and record their learning process
- Science is introduced from observation and experience
More information about the Lower School is also available in our Lower School Curriculum Statement.